Getting a block

Brunswick’s John Hicks got a block from Duane Taylor to spring him free on this run in action against Southampton HS on homecoming night in Lawrenceville. (Dion Walker photo)

Besides having a great time visiting with friends and former classmates, the alumni that turned out for the Brunswick High School football team’s homecoming game got their money’s worth on Friday night as it took five overtime periods before Southampton HS scored a touchdown and added a 2-point conversion to slip past the home team by a 48-46 score.

“We got off to a good start,” said Brunswick Coach Darrell Owens. “Our offense didn’t come together until the overtime periods when we were able to get the pass game going. Defensively we played well, but we struggled on offense in regulation.”

The Bulldogs jumped out to an early lead as Jermonta James returned the opening kickoff 81-yards for a touchdown.

James scored on a punt return later in the quarter that he returned for a 42-yard touchdown and Trevon Rice came up with a fumble recovery that he returned 90-yards for another score to give Brunswick a 20-0 lead.

Southampton fought back and got on the board to cut the Bulldogs lead to 20-6 at the half.

The Indians tied the score at 20 with three minutes left to play in regulation to force overtime.

John Hicks led Brunswick’s rushing attack with 37 yards on six carries with a touchdown and a 2-point conversion. Hicks completed 10 of 24 passes for 56 yards with three touchdowns and a 2-point conversion.

Chadwick Cleaton led the Brunswick receiving corps with five catches for 32 yards and two touchdowns and a 2-point conversion.

Jermonta James added one reception for 10 yards and a touchdown while returning three kicks for 133 yards and two touchdowns.

Amarion Taylor led the Bulldogs defense with 11 tackles and a fumble recovery while Trevon Rice tallied 10 tackles with two fumble recoveries including one he returned 90 yards for a touchdown.

Desmyn Wynn added nine tackles for Brunswick.